Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Motivation to Diet

John and I are on a diet.  We're spending this month focusing on diet and exercise - with the hopes of losing weight, being healthier, and saving money.

Now me?  I've been trying to lose weight for at least two years now - ever since I started taking birth control pills and jumped 50 lbs in 6 months.  I don't have to be the same size I was in college, but I'd like to not be in the "overweight" category! 

On the other hand, John seems to have no real trouble with his weight.  When he's busy or stressed or happy, he sometimes forgets to eat, and loses weight no problem.  But he's a big guy, and it wouldn't hurt him to lose a bit of weight as well.  His motivation right now is China.

See, he's working in a lab that is full of Chinese people.  The primarily language of the lab is Mandarin, and John is loving it.  We both had Asian roommates in college, so we're much more familiar with the culture than most Americans (I think).  Both of us are interested in the possibility of moving to China or Taiwan or someplace someday.

And Chinese people (for the most part) are much smaller than Americans.  They don't weigh as much, and there is a greater emphasis on appearances there.  If we are working towards being able to move there and be a part of that culture, the best thing for us to do is to work on trying to "fit in" - as much as we can, of course.

And while my short-term motivation happens to be my brother's wedding (he still hasn't asked her yet - but it's supposed to be this summer!), I will admit that I'd certainly feel better moving to China if I were about 30-40 lbs lighter ...


No comments:

Post a Comment