Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Challenges and Pirates!

Last night I made John take me to see The Pirates of Penzance.  I've wanted to see it for years, and a professional traveling Gilbert & Sullivan group was performing in town.  John got in free with his student ID, and I got a discount because I'm staff at the university, ... so we got to see a professional opera performance for $10!

Totally worth it!

If you don't know anything about the show, Pirates is just a goofy, silly opera (in English) with a crazy storyline that is written to make you laugh.  You know it's silly when the largest real conflict of the performance depends entirely on the question "How old are you if you are born on February 29th?"

The singing and dancing were lively and enthusiastic.  John and I laughed throughout the entire thing, and a good time was had by all.


Yesterday John and I started a month-long diet and exercise program.  I've been trying to lose weight for about two years now, which honestly has been difficult because John keeps bringing home ice cream.  And asking me to make cookies and cheesecake, etc.  And the fact that I love bread.

Anyway, this time we're doing it together.  We've decided that we're going to eat simply (meat, veggie/salad) for dinners, and go to the gym at least 4 days a week.  As a reward for not cheating and meeting our goals for the week, we're treating ourselves to something on either Friday or Saturday.  That treat can be ice cream or dessert, or whatever. 

We're not doing a fancy exercise program or hiring a trainer or taking a class, but we're being very professional about it.  We weighed ourselves yesterday, and then took each other's measurements, and we're going to see where we are after four weeks.

So, this is Day Two.  Here's hoping for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment